Guns & Knives DVD Resource Pack
- Secondary (11-18)
- All ages (4-18)
This innovative education pack will help young people understand the real-life implications of becoming involved in a weapons culture. The pack includes a film on DVD plus a CD-Rom with facilitator notes and a detailed session plan which includes a decision-making card game with cards and a board you can print off, interviews, discussion starters, role-plays, word searches, activity sheets and debates.
The DVD contains a short film about a knifing incident in a school and a subsequent guns incident that followed, which is acted out by staff and students of a secondary school. It graphically illustrates what can happen when young people carry weapons, and how confrontation can rapidly escalate into violence and tragedy, with the reality of a subsequent police intervention. The programme provides a mechanism for young people to observe a situation involving guns and knives, and to learn through discussion, reflection and activities.
The decision-making card game will help students learn about actions, consequences, facts and the law regarding guns and knives.
The cards include:
- Action Cards e.g. You’re trying to get ‘respect’.
- Consequences Cards e.g. You will be unable to ever work in teaching, nursing, care work, sports or leisure centres, police, paramedics, fire and rescue etc.
- Fact Cards e.g. A MORI youth survey found that 10% of boys aged 11 and 12 are reported to have carried a knife or other weapon.
- Joker Cards e.g. In the UK it is illegal to carry a weapon and you could be sent to prison or a young offenders' institute.
- Outcome Cards e.g. If you point a gun, even a fake gun, the police will shoot you.
- Respect Cards e.g. Do fear and bullying make someone earn respect?
- True or False? Cards e.g. Anyone from the age of ten can be prosecuted; injuring someone with a knife carries a sentence of between five years to life imprisonment.
The comprehensive session plan has learning objectives that cover:
- The legal position relating to the carrying or use of knives or guns
- The consequences of carrying knives or guns
- Being able to make safe decisions about knives or guns.
In the words of the students “No guns or knives, we want our lives!”
If you are in the UK, and the title you have ordered is in stock, your order should usually arrive within 5 working days. Please allow up to two weeks for deliveries outside the UK. If you have not received your order within these time frames, please contact us. Please note that some resources are available to pre-order prior to publication; they will not be delivered until they are published.
Should you require your item(s) to be tracked, or if your order is particularly urgent and you would like to organise a fast delivery, please contact our Customer Services Team on 01604 870828 who can discuss your delivery options with you.
Postage and packaging prices:
For UK based customers only:
The following charges will apply for all orders:
P&P to UK
Overseas customers (including, Channel Islands, Republic Of Ireland, and anywhere other than mainland UK), packing and freight will be charged at cost - please send your order and we will contact you with an exact cost to include shipping - or call 01604 870828 for details
Currently customers outside the UK can only pay by proforma invoice.